Vision Without Aid

My phone rang.

"Hello, Miss. I am calling from Dr. Chua's clinic, just to remind you of your appointment next week ..."

Blimey, the yearly after-care check-up on my eyes is due. Come to think of it, I have been completely free of my glasses and contact lenses for more than two years.

For almost two dacades prior to this, I have been relying on glasses and contact lenses for my vision, or was it three dacades? Oops, have to be careful here as not to reveal too much.

Then came the Refractive Eye Correction Technologies. Initially, I was a bit sceptical about it. Even though I came across a number of success stories from people whom I know. It wasn't until I kept suffering from eye infections, thanks to my contact lens, that I decided to go for it.

After attending a seminar and a series of eye examinations, I underwent the 3-in-1 treatment called PAC-IntraLasik. PAC stands for Pseudo Accommodative Cornea, whatever that means... Okay, okay, of course I know what that means, otherwise I wouldn't have gone under the mega laser machine blindly to risk being blinded!

Prior to the introduction of PAC, one could only do refractive surgery to correct either one of the eye problems, be it myopia, astigmatism or presbyopia. PAC is the latest revolutionary technology that allows corrections of all eye problems at one go.

Next comes the method of opening up the cornea. The older methods generally involved a blade where one has to rely on the precision of the eye surgeon. With the latest IntraLasik, as it is claimed to be blade-free, uses laser to create an incision.

The procedure was much easier than I had envisaged. "It was all over before I knew it" did not apply to me though, coz I was having 3 laser treatment, lasted 20 second each. When the laser was applied to the cornea to shape its curvature, it produced a horrible burning odour. Whatever it was, I did manage to pull it off and emerge unscathed.

It was truly a miracle. Awesome job, my sincere gratitude to the ophthalmologist and his team. I regained almost perfect vision overnight. I definitely have no regrets.

To those pals of mine who wondered why I can still read fine prints without reading glasses, the secret is now unveiled.



0 comments: