80s' Pop Extravaganza

The entertainment review in the paper dampened my mood today. There is a full two-page coverage on the Here and Now Tour 2008 - The Best of 80s Concert which was held at the Arena of Stars, Genting over the weekend.

I was offered 3 free tickets to the show on Saturday. As I was at the material time up to my wotsit with work, and coupled with the fact that it was raining miserably, I politely turned down the offer! Now, looking back, I hate myself! Argh! I want to tear my hair to pieces! How could I possibly have done such a stupid thing.

The concert brought together a line-up of evergreen 'BRITISH' artistes who include the soulful Paul Young, the trademarked duo-toned rambutan hair Limahl of Kajagoogoo, the synthesiser genius Howard Jones, the band Johnny Hates Jazz and the girl trio Bananarama.

I emphasized the word 'BRITISH' because I was brought up in England and was truly a crazy teenybopper during the 80s. I love British music, be it the New Wave, New Romantic or synthpop... I knew Paul through my manager of the Patisserie where I worked in, she was the ex of George Harrison of The Beatles. Proudly to say that I am still in possession of a collection of Paul's autographed records and photos. I used to hang out in Stringfellows with a group of 'arty' weirdos whom be-friended the gorgeous Bananarama. I can vividly remember queuing outside London HMV for an autographed album from Limahl. An enormous wave of nostalgia overcomes me.

20 years on. Will these icons of the 80s show signs of waning? Definitely not. According to the media, the concert turned into a raving ear-shattering party that went on till the wee hours of the morning.

Damn. Damn. Damn. I was left out. Utterly disappointed and morose.

Sodding workload that squandered my opportunity to revive with a repertoire of my favourite British music.

Work sucks.

0 comments: