Reminiscence of Ah Sim's Lobak Kou

Oh. Crikey, the alarm went off. It was 6 a.m. Sunday morning. I had to drag myself out of bed coz I needed to send my girl to school. School? On a Sunday? Yes, her school was the meeting point. She was to participate in the Jogathon Warisan 2008.


This Jogathon Warisan is a yearly event. Yassie has been taking part every year for the last three years. The Jogathon is organized by The Youth Section of KL & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall and 22 other youth associations. It starts from Kwong Tong Cemetery and passes by a number of other cemeteries along Jalan Istana. You may be thinking: Why cemeteries? Eery, huh? Their slogan reads, " 跑义山,保古迹,爱环境", i.e. for the purpose of taking good care of historical sites and nature.







While at home, I tried out my culinary skills in the kitchen. I made Lobak Kou (steamed radish cake).


I have fond memories of Ah Sim's, my mother-in-law, Lobak Kou. She makes the best Lobak Kou. You may think I am exaggerating, but it is true, to me at least. I used to watched her making the cake in the kitchen in Slough. She would painstakingly shredded the radish, fried up the garnishes including dried prawns, onions and red chillies. Then she would mix the rice flour batter in a huge plastic 'basin'. She normally made quite a lot, three trays in total stacked up in the steamer, a huge family to feed. For the fillings, she put in thinly shredded mushrooms and pork strips. It was absolutely delicious, I simply adored it. Sigh, I miss it so much.


As my kids love the pan-fried version, I reduced the amount of water and omitted the garnishes. I added in some chopped chinese preserved pork belly. I couldn't find grocery store that sells wheat starch, so I did without. This is how it turned out. I have yet to achieve my mother-in-law's standard though.





This is the pan-fried version with eggs




This was my kids' comment, "Yummilicious. You are great, mum. Can we have this once a week?" Aha.. you see, my ultimate fans!




0 comments: