Fancy A Universal Remote Control?

This is a dated post.


It was a Sunday night. I was busy with the ironing. Kids switched to the English movie channel and a movie has just started. I saw them pressing the info button and revealed that the movie was "Click" by Adam Sandler which was released in 2006 but none of us has seen it. Well, might as well. Hands on ironing and eyes on TV.



"Clicks" tells the story of Michael, a workaholic Architect. He acquires a "Universal Remote Control" from a weirdo scientist that allows him to rewind, fast-forward and freeze-frame different parts of his life. He can literally control everything around him by clicking the gadget. He starts to take advantages over these options.


Complications arise when the remote malfunctions and starts to overrule his choices. It fast-forwards on its own showing the possible future that may come for Michael, i.e. sickness, divorce, death of loved-ones and just losing touch with the reality. He sees how much of his life has passed him by and realizes the importance of spending more time with his family.


The first part of the movie is refreshing, hilarious especially when Michael is manipulating with time. The movie then takes a sharp turn into the real world. It shows you how the beauty of life is in its challenges, and ups and downs. It gives us lessons about the importance of growing up, being responsible and no child-like behaviour. It gives out so many morals : family comes first and work comes second; to love and respect our parents more; to live our lives for the best while we can. Real thought provoking! A great lesson we can benefit from. It is especially appealing to teenages, who are at the brink of the transition.


It goes from hilarious to surprisingly serious right up to the edge of maudlin. There is a depth in this movie, it took me completely off-guard. I cried. Yes, I DID cried. I am not a cryer, but this really got me. I thought of my mum and dad and wanted to tell them how much I love them. I glanced over at the kids, they were truly touched, with my girl desperately reaching for tissues, whereas my boy was just gobsmacked 'stunned'.


These days it is hard to find a movie that can provide me with "my money's worth". (Well, my subscription to Astro costs me a whopping RM149.90 a month!!) But, "Click" is a notable exception. There is just the right amount of laughs with a touch of heartwarming drama, and a bit of tear-jerker touch!


If you haven't seen, it is definitely worth a watch. I am planning to get the DVD.


So, cherish your time with your family and live life to the fullest.

0 comments: