Steamed Layered Kaya Cake

My little kitchen has been neglected and I guess my little one felt it too because last night he mentioned that I haven't been making cakes/desserts lately. Oops, sorry dear, mommy was too busy minding other 'more important' matters, i.e. planning for the Bangkok trip.


Actually, I have been contemplating making steamed kaya cake since last week. With my mom staying with me these days, and in order to help her with her Alzheimer's condition, I constantly spend time trying to refresh her memories of the past. I talked to her about the old days, what we did, what we ate, where we went, etc. When it comes to food, I vividly remember mom loved to buy the kaya layered cake from a shop in old town Ipoh. The kaya cakes were very 'laku', no advance order, no cakes. The cakes were nice and soft, with just the right amount of kaya to add to the sweetness, yummy.


That's what led me to make this kaya cake. But, I am lazy to come out with homemade kaya. Finally managed to grab a jar of kaya from the bakery to make this tonight. The recipe I found is wonderful, the cake turned out promising. My son had so many servings even after a heavy dinner.






0 comments: