The Unique Mamaking Experience

After soaking up for two solid hours in the pool at the new Ayuria Condominium (will post on that later), my son was craving for roti canai. After my terrible suffering last week due to food poisioning, mamak store spicy food would be my last choice. Since it was school holiday and I did not want to spoil his fun, I suddenly thought of a perfect mamak place to go - The Restoran SS2 Murni.


Murni, being the most crowded establishment in the whole SS2, I suppose it does not need any further introduction. But, for my friends in Ipoh, I better elaborate. Murni, is a mamak place, run by a Chinese, located in PJ SS2, a few shops away from Secret Recipe. It does not open for lunch and only opens from 6.30pm until 5am. Business is so good that they started to occupy the five foot walk/kaki lima of a number of the neighbouring shops and also the parking lots in front of the shops. Nowadays it extends as far as both ends of the lots, i.e. Public Bank.


So, if you don't mind being run over by reckless drivers or having bird shits to enhance your food, or having rats strolling under your feet, do give this mamak place a try. Food wise, they serve unique, innovative food, especially its confusing array of roti canai and fruity ice-blended. If you ask any of the waiters for a menu, he definitely will say, "I am the menu..." And he will start bleh, bleh, bleh without any semicolons let alone commas. Never mind the speed, but the accent (being Burmese/foreign workers) deter you from catching a single word. Heck, luckily I have done my homework. I ordered Roti Hawaii (RM5.50) for my son.






The roti was filled with minced meat with a sausage centre, a layer of egg sticking to the inner skin of the roti and cubes of pineapple, topped with a generous dose of mayonnaise. Both my kids shouted yummilicious.




Yes, Claypot Lou Shi Fun with chicken mince topped with a raw egg (RM4.00). Not bad, considering it is a mamak place. I heard that the belacan chilli is wonderful, but I have to skip that.




This is Garlic and Cheese Naan (RM3.50). Zoom into the sauce compartments, there was dhall, fish curry and ... guess what? It is CONDENSED MILK. This naan is best eaten with the condensed milk. My daughter simply loves it.




Here comes the famous ice-blended. Mango Special (RM5.00) and Watermelon Special (RM5.00). Served, not in glasses but in glass bottles, like those commonly used in Hong Kong style Cha Chan Teng. Fruit puree/juice filled with lychee/longan, nata de coco, watermelon bites. Itself alone can fill you up. I prefer the mango version as it was smoother.


We were so full and satisfied. While leaving, spotted another lorry load of plastic chairs and tables being unloaded to fill up the street...


0 comments: