Homemade Char Siew


Going through my photo memory card, found these pics. This is a very much overdue post.


Clearing out my fridge and freezer before the Bangkok trip. Found in the freezer some belly pork with not much fatty bits on, so it won't make good Bak Kut Teh. For the past week, my son has been asking me to buy char siew rice for his lunch. To satisfy his craving, I decided to try and make char siew.


Instead of using the ready made char siew sauce, I made up my own sauce. I marinated the pork with light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, honey, sugar and tossed in a little bit of red colouring. I left it marinating in the fridge for a few hours.





Don't you just love the caramelizing effects!





Yummy and juicy










'Char Siew' actually means 'fork roasting'. The traditional way of making this dish is to skewer strips of marinated pork meat with long forks, and roast in a large covered oven using charcoal. I supposed my version, which was pan-fried with the help of a giant fork, should be named 'fork pan-frying', aka 'Char Jin'??


My boy loved it, he had a few servings until his little tummy bulged out.

0 comments: