My Version of Yee Sang

Yee Sang, contrary to a lot of people's belief, is NOT a Chinese traditional CNY dish. It is merely unique to the Chinese in West Malaysia and Singspore. Note: not even in East Malaysia.


This dish is basically a mixed salad, a la Chinese style, normally served in restaurant throughout the Chinese New Year. The finely shredded vegetables are topped with nuts/crisps and some thinly sliced raw fish, normally salmon. The word "Yee Sang" means "mixed or tossed raw". "Sang" is a very auspicious word, sounds like alive and is represented by the raw salmon. Personally, I do not like the dish for its bright colour dyed ginger/deep fried crisps and the overly sweet dressing.


On the 15th day of this Chinese New Year, Chap Goh Mei, I suddenly had the urge to have Yee Sang, not in the restaurant but at home. I can't called it homemade, as it is partially off the shelf from the supermarket (ready made yee sang, dried type) and I added in the shredded carrot and radish.







All the ingredients have to be arranged separately. What do you think of my presentation? Not bad huh?




















My son picked most of the salmon!


Aesthetically pleasing!!!

0 comments: